Things that Happened in October
- First of all, is October really over already!! Where did October go?
- I had my first really bad glutening in quite some time yesterday. It was terrible. People have also been questioning my food choices which prompted this Twitter thread.
- As I am working on this, I have such a terrible headache that I hope this manages to look half-way decent when it posts.
- Grad school has been exhausting me on top of teaching and everything else I do.
- I just started a Facebook page for the blog but there isn’t a whole lot there yet.
- I didn’t get as much read as I should have this month. I am falling behind on grad school reading and ARCs.
My Favorite Book of October
Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake
Beauty Begins by Chris Shook, Megan Shook Alpha
Publisher: WaterBrook Press (2016)
Hardcover (208 pages)
Via: Blogging for Books
Reading Challenges: Read 2016
You are, and always have been, beautiful.
“Beauty begins. That’s the point of this book. Our understanding of beauty got started somewhere and somehow, and probably due to someone. Now that may have been a good start, but then again it may not have. But regardless of what your past looks like, we want to offer up this word of hope: it’s never too late to make peace with your reflection.”
We live in a culture that’s obsessed with beauty. Walk by any magazine stand, turn on a television, or visit the local shopping mall, and you’ll be bombarded with the images and ideals that our culture believes are the epitome of what it means to be beautiful. And if you’re like most women, you’ve probably spent countless hours trying to measure up to this standard of beauty whether you realize it or not.
But if you don’t make peace with your reflection, you’ll end up declaring war on yourself.
That’s where mother-daughter team, Chris and Megan Shook, want to help. In Beauty Begins, they explore the origins of beauty (hint, it didn’t start with a fashion magazine) and challenge each of us to trade the pressure of perfection for God's perfect love.
Poignant, relevant, and relatable, Beauty Begins is for every woman who wants to reclaim what it means to be truly beautiful.
Do you feel beautiful?
When you look in the mirror, what do you see? Others may tell you that you’re beautiful, but do you believe them? Why not? Don’t let another day go by without believing and knowing that you are fearfully and wonderfully made.
It’s time for you to exchange society’s cookie-cutter suggestions for what is beautiful and instead discover and reclaim what true beauty looks like – and the One who created it.
In Beauty Begins, Chris and Megan Shook share with you their own experiences and struggles with appearance and body image, as well as equip you with the wisdom to distinguish what’s artificial beauty and what’s real. Filled with heartfelt encouragement, insightful challenges, and undeniable truth, after reading Beauty Begins, you’ll never look in the mirror the same way again.
Find the book: Goodreads, Amazon, Book Depository
Things that Happened in August
- I arrived home after World Youth Day! It was an amazing experience but it is always good to come home.
- After arriving home, I read five books in four days. I hadn’t read any novels in the three weeks I was gone and I must have been making up for lost time.
- The weather here is kind of crazy. It is really smoky with all the forest fires around. Some days I won’t even open the windows because the smoke is hanging so thick in the air.
- School started for my students last week. It is good to be back, even if it is completely crazy (as the beginning of every school year is).
- My grad classes started a week ago. I am a bit overwhelmed right not and it is strange to think of myself as a student again. It has been quite a few years.
My Favorite Book of August
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton