Things that Happened in October
- First of all, is October really over already!! Where did October go?
- I had my first really bad glutening in quite some time yesterday. It was terrible. People have also been questioning my food choices which prompted this Twitter thread.
- As I am working on this, I have such a terrible headache that I hope this manages to look half-way decent when it posts.
- Grad school has been exhausting me on top of teaching and everything else I do.
- I just started a Facebook page for the blog but there isn’t a whole lot there yet.
- I didn’t get as much read as I should have this month. I am falling behind on grad school reading and ARCs.
My Favorite Book of October
Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake
Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson
Series: Goldseer #1
Publisher: Greenwillow Books (2015)
Hardcover (431 pages)
Reading Challenges: Read 2016
Gold is in my blood, in my breath, even in the flecks in my eyes.
Lee Westfall has a strong, loving family. She has a home she loves and a loyal steed. She has a best friend—who might want to be something more.
She also has a secret.
Lee can sense gold in the world around her. Veins deep in the earth. Small nuggets in a stream. Even gold dust caught underneath a fingernail. She has kept her family safe and able to buy provisions, even through the harshest winters. But what would someone do to control a girl with that kind of power? A person might murder for it.
When everything Lee holds dear is ripped away, she flees west to California—where gold has just been discovered. Perhaps this will be the one place a magical girl can be herself. If she survives the journey.
The acclaimed Rae Carson begins a sweeping new trilogy set in Gold Rush-era America, about a young woman with a powerful and dangerous gift.
Find the book: Goodreads, Amazon, Book Depository
Things that Happened in September
- My life became utterly crazy.
- Grad school is crazy busy and I keep questioning my sanity about WHY I THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?!
- Things at the school I work at have been just a wee bit insane (and by wee bit I mean totally and utterly).
- Basically, my life is crazy and it is surprising that I am finding any time to do this… Oh, wait, this is procrastinating because I should be writing a paper…
- My most visited post by far this month was on 11 Ways High-Functioning Depression and Anxiety are Present in My Life.
My Favorite Book of September
If we are going by not an assigned book for grad school:
The Secret of Pembrooke Park by Julie Klassen