Big Things That Happened in 2015
- I mentioned the school talent show in which the teachers sang Yellow Submarine.
- I worked at a Catholic summer camp for the summer and had a blast. I wrote about it and shared some pictures.
- I survived over a week of blinding smoke due to forest fires. It was insane. I talked about that here.
- I had my very first ever Blogversary which was exciting.
Analysis of Books I Read in 2015
This was the very first year that I ever kept track of the books that I read. My stats have amazed me.
- I read 141 books.
- Almost all of the books I read this year were 4 or 5 stars. I must be pretty good at choosing books I know I’ll enjoy.
- Over two-thirds of the books I read this year were from the library or books I own.
- Over half of the books I read this year were hard copied (Paperback or Hardcover) while over a quarter were ebooks. Audiobooks made up the rest.
- About a quarter of the books I read this year were debuts.
I made some pretty nifty looking pie charts in Excel (you can just pretend they are totally awesome).
Things I’m Looking Forward to in 2016
- I am just excited that it is a new year. 2015 has seemed so long and so fast at the same time. I am excited to see what 2016 can bring.
- I am attending my friend’s wedding in DC in January. I am, maybe, a bit over-excited about this.
- There are so many amazing books coming out in 2016 that I don’t even want to begin listing them here.
I don’t know how I missed this last year, but there is an End of Year Survey hosted by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner that I have decided to participate in. So, yeah, this post is going to get a bit long. 🙂 This is also going to get super difficult as I try not to repeat any of the same books. I might have to once or twice but I am going to try not to.
Number of Books Read: 141
Number of Re-reads: 22
Genre Most Read: Fantasy/Paranormal
Best in Books
1. Best Book Read in 2015
2. Book I Was Excited About and Thought I Was Going to Love More But Didn’t
3. Most Surprising (in a good or bad way) Book I Read
For surprising in a bad way, I’m going to have to go with Unhinged by A G Howard. Unhinged made me sick of Alyssa’s indecisiveness as well as the way she was being used by Morphesus and Jeb. This was not a good thing for me. I know others who have loved this book, so maybe it was just me.
4. Book I “Pushed” the Most People to Read in 2015
5. Best Series I Started in 2015/Best Sequel of 2015/Best Series Ender of 2015
For series ender, I think I have to say Winter by Marissa Meyer. It was amazing and beautiful and everything.
6. Favorite New Author I Discovered in 2015
7. Best Book from a Genre I Don’t Typically Read
8. Most Action-Packed/Thrilling/Unputdownable Book of 2015
9. Book I Read in 2015 and am Most Likely to Re-Read in 2016
10. Favorite Cover of a Book I Read in 2015
11. Most Memorable Character of 2015
12. Most Beautifully Written Book I Read in 2015
13. Most Thought-Provoking/Life-Changing Book of 2015
14. Book I Can’t Believe I Waited Until 2015 to Finally Read
15. Favorite Qutoe from a Book I Read in 2015
Home is where your books are.
16. Shortest/Longest Book I Read in 2015
17. Book That Shocked Me the Most
18. OTP of the Year (I Will Go Down With This Ship!)
I don’t really know. I have such a hard time when it comes to people shipping characters and I don’t know why. I don’t even knoe what to put here…
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship of the Year
20. Favorite Book I Read in 2015 from an Author I’ve Read Previously
21. Best Book I Read in 2015 Based Solely on a Recommendation
22. Newest Fictional Crush from 2015
I don’t crush on fictional characters (or real people for that matter).
23. Best 2015 Debut I Read
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting I Read in 2015
25. Book That Put a Smile on My Face/Was the Most Fun to Read
26. Book That Made Me Cry in 2015
27. Hidden Gem of the Year
28. Book That Crushed My Soul in 2015
29. Most Unique Book I Read in 2015
30. Book That Made Me the Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean I didn’t like it) in 2015
My Blogging/Bookish Life
1. Favorite Book Blog I Discovered in 2015
There are far too many to list. It was 2015 where I really started to follow and comment on blogs so I could list a ton but I won’t do that. Rather, EVERYONE!
2. Favorite Review I Wrote in 2015
3. Best Discussion/Non-Review Post in 2015
I had a lot of fun writing about the Ten Bookish Things That Have to Go. It is a meme post, not strictly a discussion, but it is the non-review post with the most comments.
4. Best Bookish Event I Participated In
Since I live in rural Montana, USA, there aren’t any bookish events for me to attend. I would love to go to BEA or even ALA but, alas, it is unlikely I ever will.
5. Best Moment of Bookish/Blogging Life in 2015
I discovered the existence of Blogging for Books. This is a site run by the Crown Publishing Group where you can request finished copies of books for review. While they don’t have a lot of YA available, this is how I got quite a few awesome Catholic reads this year.
6. Most Challenging Thing About Blogging/Reading This Year
Scheduling for sure. Staying organized is something I like to do but, for a bit this year, I got unorganized.
7. Most Popular Post of the Year (comments or views)
Going by pageviews, I think this would be my Back to School & Giveaway post. Going by comments, my Top Ten Tuesday post about Bookish Issues That Have to Go got the most at 20 comments. I know that isn’t a lot for some of you, but it means that 10 people commented on one of my posts and I replied to them. I may have been blogging for over a year but I’m still not one of the “big” bloggers.
8. Post I Wish Got a Little More Love
I know life updates don’t always get much traffic/comments but I wrote a post (with lots of pictures) when I got back from working at summer camp that I really like.
9. Best Bookish Discovery (book related site/book store/etc)
I am actually going to say the entire book blogging community for this one. It really is an amazing community and you are all so awesome, thank you!
10. Did I Complete Any Reading Challenges or Goals?
Yes, I did. This is the progress I made in all of my challenges this year.
- I am sad to say that I did not complete this challenge. I was close but did not finish. I did not read a book for September or December.
- My goal for this challenge was 10-20 books. I read 22 books this year that were rereads.
- Completed in May
- My goal was at least 2 series and I finished 5.
- I was aiming for books that had the colors in their name and so I was one short. I read 8/9 color categories. The category I missed was “Brown.”
- Completed in August
- My goal was 100 books and I surpassed that. I am rather proud of myself.
- I fell one short in this category. I managed to read 25/26 letters of the alphabet. I did not read a book that contained the letter “X” at all.
- Completed in December
- I am rather proud of myself for accomplishing this challenge. I read a book for each of the six required categories.
- Completed in June
- My goal was to read 5 books and I managed to read 6 which is an accomplishment.
- Completed in April
- My goal was 9 books and I totally surpassed that by reading 21. This challenge was a lot of fun.
1. One Book I Didn’t Get to in 2015 But Will in 2016
I definitely have more than just one! I have Illuminae and Winterspell and Red Queen and Wolf by Wolf and Not If I See You First on my shelves. It will probably be one of those.
2. Book I Am Most Anticipating for 2016 (non-debut)
3. 2016 Debut I Am Most Anticipating
4. Series Ending/Sequel I Am Most Anticipating for 2016
5. One Thing I Hope to Accomplish in Reading/Blogging in 2016
I want to post more discussion posts. That requires me to actually come up with ideas and write the posts.
6. A 2016 Release I’ve Already Read and Recommend to Everyone
Number of Books Read… 141
- Under 250 pages (not counting novellas): 27
- Between 400-449 pages: 20
- Between 450-499 pages: 15
- Over 500 pages: 6
- Over 1000 pages: None this year.
- Audiobooks: 18
- Re-reads: 22
- DNFs: 1
Number of Books Rated…
- Five Stars: 55 (I must be pretty good at picking books I know I will like.)
- One/Two Stars: 3
Number of Authors Met in 2015
I didn’t meet any authors in 2015. This is one of the things about living in rural Montana…
Number of Book Events Attended in 2015
I also did not attend any bookish events unless the school book fair counts because, again, I live in rural Montana.
Number of Books Read in One Day: 18
Number of Books that Made Me Cry
Well, I don’t tend to cry when I read and so I really don’t have any idea.
Number of 2016 Books on Pre-Order
I have managed to restrain myself from pre-orders though I do plan to use some Christmas money on two or ten. 🙂
By the Books
Book Read Furthest from Home
Book that Took Longest to Read
Book I Personally Connected with Most
Book that Made Me Love the Villain
I can’t think of any off the top of my head for this one.
Book I Said I’d Come Back to But Haven’t Yet
Book I Read WAAAAY Before Publication Date
Book I Read on My Birthday
Book with Character Who Shares My Name
I don’t think there was a book I read this year where a character shares my name.
Book I Wasn’t Entirely Truthful About When Rating
Ummm…. I think I was pretty truthful with all of them.
Book Read in 2015 I Already Want to Re-Read
Book Borrowed from Friend a Long Time Ago and Still Have
I don’t really have any friends near me that I can borrow books from. It would only be my sister and it is way more likely that she is borrowing my books.
Book I Wish I Could Go Back and Read for the First Time Again
Most Books Read by One Author
This & That
Happiest & Saddest
Longest & Shortest…
- By page number: Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives by Pope Benedict XVI & Winter by Marissa Meyer
- By title: An Introduction to the Vocation of Consecrated Virginity Lived in the World by the USACV & Cress by Marissa Meyer
- From buying to reading: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas & Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Best & Worst…
- Average rating on Goodreads: One Ordinary Sunday by Paula Huston (I think my rating is the only one so far) & Li Jun and the Iron Road by Anne Tait
- Books you read/your rating: Cinder by Marissa Meyer & Evermore by Alyson Noel
- Series enders: Winter by Marissa Meyer & Ensnared by A G Howard
First & Last…
- Reads of 2015: Ancient Christian Worship by Andrew B McGowan & Ice Like Fire by Sara Raasch
- Books on your bookcase (first book on top let and last book on bottom right): Paradise Lost by John Milton & The Pharaoh’s Daughter by Mesu Andrews
Most Disappointing & Biggest Pleasant Surprise
Fandom Joined & One Abandoned
Well, since 2015 was when I first read The Lunar Chronicles, The Winner’s Trilogy, Starbound, The Raven Cycle, The Mortal Instruments, etc. I guess I can saw a lot. As for the one abandoned, I loved Splintered by not so much the rest of the series.
Series Picked Up & Series Quit
I started a lot of series, see above. I also finished a lot of series. I guess I can say I “quit” The Immortals series by Alyson Noel after the first book, Evermore.
Most Hyped & Furthest Under the Radar Read
Most hyped probably has to go to Divergent by Veronica Roth. I finally read it. As for most under the radar, probably An Introduction to the Vocation of Consecrated Virginity Lived in the World by the USACV.
- Book Read that is Red: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier
- Starts with X, Y, or Z: And You Are Christ’s by Thomas Dubay
- Book Hugged When Finished: Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
- Book Wanted to Thrown Across Room: The Winner’s Crime by Marie Rutkoski because it ended!
- Book that Became Instant Go-To Recommendation: Sacrificed by Emily Wibberley
- Furthest Out of Comfort Zone: Rebel Mechanics by Shanna Swendson
- Read on Recommendation: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
- Forced Myself to Finish: Evermore by Alyson Noel
- Series/Author I Binged: Kerstin Gier
- Post of 2015: This post. 🙂
- Review of 2015: Everneath by Brodi Ashton
Number of Posts in 2015: 235
Number of Reviews Posted in 2015: 128
Least Coherent Review in 2015: No idea. You tell me.
Post with Most Views in 2015: Back to School & Giveaway
That’s all I’ve got for my year. I hope yours was amazing as well! I wish you a very happy Christmas season and new year!